Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Lent - What does it mean for me?

 It seems like I just finished writing the Christmas posts, and now we are on Ash Wednesday. "Isn't that only for Catholics?" "What is the deal with giving something up?" "I don't do all of that legalistic stuff." I have heard the comments and thoughts on Ash Wednesday and lent for years

Here is my take on things. Lent is a remembrance and marking of the 40 days Jesus spent fasting in the desert, enduring temptation from Satan. This year it is observed from February 22 to April, ending on Holy Saturday. One article stated, "Lent is a solemn reminder of human mortality and the need for reconciliation with God". 

There have been times when I have 'given up' things during lent. Making a sacrifice of some pleasure to focus on the need for God to increase in my life. There are many opinions on why we give up the things we do. If the intent is just to give something up for 40 days, then return to that behavior or habit, why do it? The intent of lent is prayer and penitence, an intention of dying to sin and living for God. My daily desire is to have less of me and more of God. 

The last weeks since I posted have been filled with turmoil. Family problems that at times seemed insurmountable.  Friends going through grief and pain that I just wanted to help relieve. My studies have been on hold for weeks, but I simply couldn't focus on extensive reading and writing during this tumultuous time. I need lent. I need a breath of fresh life from God. I want to sit with Jesus and learn how he resists Satan. But sitting in the wilderness is hard, I'm ready for that too.

Jesus was actually led to the desert by the Holy Spirit. Matthew 4:1-2 Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted there by the devil. For forty days and forty nights he fasted and became very hungry. NLT

Satan went to Jesus, and Jesus responded to each challenge by quoting Scripture. Each time Satan tempted him with great things, Jesus simply responded "the Word of God says". To prepare for the ministry Jesus had been born to do, he needed to resist temptation and rely on God, his (and our) Father. Read Matthew 4:3-11 for the whole picture of the temptation of Jesus.

That is what I want this season of lent. To turn to God, through Scripture, for guidance. To lean on God for strength to endure whatever comes next. Our world is in chaos. At the same time, there are revivals and moves of the Spirit happening in miraculous ways. I want to hear the Spirit and go wherever He leads me, as difficult as it may be. 

Whatever your lenten journey is, if you have one, I pray it is a time of listening. Let the Spirit guide you and speak to you. I will write periodically over the next 40 days, as the Spirit leads!

Prayer: Spirit lead me. Help me hear your voice and turn to the Word for guidance. Help me release forever those things that draw me away from You. Take me down to my vulnerable self, to feel the need for only You. Help me follow Jesus'  example of how to resist.  In his name I pray. Amen.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Lent - What does it mean for me?

  It seems like I just finished writing the Christmas posts, and now we are on Ash Wednesday. "Isn't that only for Catholics?"...