Wednesday, January 4, 2017

My Switch-master

None of us can avoid the new year bombardment of change.  It seems like everywhere we look there is notice of eating healthier, getting fit, being organized and setting goals. I have not been  a resolution setter for many years, I set and work on goals throughout the year.  In my training as a life coach a few years ago goal setting, and the importance of doing so, became second nature to me. January is no different than any other month, other than I also look back at my yearly goals, evaluate and set some long term goals as well as my normal monthly ones.

At first glance my planner and goal journal this year seems particularly daunting.  I'm working a direct sales job that has enormous potential financially if I just get all of the pieces to fit together.  I have a ministry job that is more of a calling and a passion but the financial benefit may completely go away before we even get started.  I have an education path that excites me, and can completely enrich all other areas of my life. We have family situations that need much care (finances, health, time management) and all of them need to fit together in some way.   

My focus word this year is SURRENDER.  Often the first image of surrender is waving that white flag and giving up to a dominant force. It brings up the idea of defeat. I'm trying my best to push that image out of my mind, because it brings me down.  I want to focus on success.  To surrender to a force bigger than myself. All of the things I mentioned above seem totally unrelated.  A direct sales business for a beauty product but the main focus is empowering women in ways they can't imagine, a ministry job that helps people to get a hand up in life and a spiritual strength like none other, a Master's program as I approach age 60 and a family as diverse in needs as can be - how in the world does all of that come together in a cohesive manner?  

The only way is something like a railroad.  When you see a switch-yard it looks like a jumbled mess or a wreck waiting to happen.  In reality it is an engineering masterpiece that requires precision, timing, guidance and faith. The tracks all need to be laid out in a precise pattern to enable the trains to get from one place to another. The timing of those trains must be coordinated in order for them all to reach their destinations without mishap.  The engineers of the trains, as well as the passengers or even those at crossroads waiting for the train to pass all have faith that the system is operating as it should.


When I look at the road map for my year it looks like a major train wreck!  How in the world will all of this come together?  I have to place my trust in the Switch-master that guides me and surrender to His plan.  It still requires that I make decisions, just like the engineer of the train has checkpoints and duties he has to perform in order for the train to operate as it should.  Can my plans be derailed? Of course! But the rails can be repaired and I can get back on track and rely on the Switch-master to smooth things out for me.

It would be easy to just take the straight line and not worry about all of the intersections I have in front of me.  I choose to rely on those 'switches' so I can travel each different course and see how they intersect to make my journey an exciting and full one.  The switches can be scary and sometimes dangerous - perhaps some of the paths will be dead ends and I need to turn around.  I will only find that out by traveling and depending on the Switch-master to guide me. There may be things to see and learn in the dead ends too.

Proverbs 16:9 We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lent - What does it mean for me?

  It seems like I just finished writing the Christmas posts, and now we are on Ash Wednesday. "Isn't that only for Catholics?"...