Sunday, November 27, 2022

Advent 2022 ~ Ponder

It has been several years since I wrote a daily advent devotional, and I decided to give it a go again this year. I write these mainly for myself, and if anyone else gets a thinking prompt or draws closer to God, that is just a plus.

Each year I choose a word of focus for the year. My word for 2022 is ponder. 

Definitions from Webster's 1828 Dictionary: To weigh in the mind; to consider and compare the circumstances or consequences of an event, or the importance of the reasons for or against a decision. To view with deliberation; to examine. 

A lot of thought goes into my process of choosing a word. I usually spend the week between Christmas and New Year's Day in the process of prayer, listening for various word possibilities, then examining my life to determine what I want to focus on in the coming year. I look at synonyms, I do word definition trees, and finally, in the silence between God and me, I decide on a word. When I was considering ponder I came up with this general statement: to search, to scrutinize, to explore, to discover the truth. To me, it was so much more than simply thinking!

Like for all of you, 2022 was a year of ups and downs, unexpected pleasures, and disappointments. All in all, just like any other - interesting. Looking back over 2022, I have been blessed with new and treasured friendships that I didn't expect (though I prayed for). I have taken a once-in-a-lifetime trip that was a total surprise. I have sat in hospital and emergency rooms with loved ones, wondering what was coming next, crying out to God for protection and healing. I have started a new educational journey, which was a giant leap! I turned 65 and joined the ranks of "old" people. My list could go on and on, and I pondered decisions and possible outcomes with each one.

As we enter the season of advent, waiting for the commemoration of Christ's birth I ponder what comes next. Just as Mary faced the unexpected and seemingly impossible I choose to go boldly ahead in the direction God has for me. It may be scary, and seem impossible, but if God says go, I will go! How will you approach the unknown? When God presents you with something unbelievable, will you go forward in faith and obedience? 

Today I am committing to going forward, even amid significant doubt and fear. Perfect love drives out fear, and I know God loves me perfectly, as He does you. I pray that you will join me in pondering what God has for us this advent season, and perhaps like Mary, we will experience unbelievable and magnificent gifts from God. 

Challenge: Ponder what you would like to hear from God this season. How will you respond to what you hear? 

Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take. Proverbs 3:5-6 NLT

Prayer: Lord, hear my voice as I cry out to you. Make the way clear as I ponder what you have for me. Soften my heart so that I am ready to go where you lead and discover the unimaginable wonders that you have for me. Help me love perfectly as you do and banish any fear that remains in my heart.  In Jesus' name, I pray. Amen.

*I will post these advent thoughts each day on my Facebook timeline. If you want to read them elsewhere, you can click the link on this blog post and receive them in your email. I will not send a separate email like I did in the past to not clutter up inboxes that may not want to receive them.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Lent - What does it mean for me?

  It seems like I just finished writing the Christmas posts, and now we are on Ash Wednesday. "Isn't that only for Catholics?"...