Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Advent 2022 - Ponder GIVING TUESDAY

 Bombarded by 'days': Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, Cyber Monday, and Giving Tuesday. The first three mentioned have to do with shopping. Then today is all about giving. It is interesting to research why all of these names came to be. Giving Tuesday was established in 2012 and is touted as a 'global generosity movement unleashing the power of people and organizations to transform their communities and the world.' It is one of those things that, at first glance, seems like a good thing. A day for everyone to focus on giving. I'm going to step out and share something about myself; I don't like big non-profit organizations that spearhead massive movements like this. I can be very cynical about them. While millions have been donated to worthy causes on this one day each year, I wonder why it is so easy. 

It kind of gets me thinking about checking boxes and appearances. "Oh, it's that time of year again!  I give to a worthy cause, I gather the family together to attend church together for the second time this year, I took my donation to the food bank for Thanksgiving.......". See, I get very critical. I spent some time this morning looking inward. Do I need to donate to some worthy organization today simply because my calendar says it is time to do so? Many of us are feeling the pinch right now in our bank accounts. It caused me to ponder how I give, why I give, and my motivation.

Giving is a personal thing, and there is nothing wrong with giving during the holiday season. Angel trees, Salvation Army bell ringers, and local organizations that support needy families and children are all good things. I challenge you to think about all of these things and wonder: do families only need a meal between Thanksgiving and Christmas? The gift given on Giving Tuesday may go to an organization that helps throughout the year, yet I think that is the easy way. Give a monetary gift once a year, then check off that box. I guess the reason this gets me thinking is that I can't write the big check. I can't support these causes as much as I would like simply because I have needs to be met. So I find myself thinking that I need to help more. 

Giving for me is God-directed. I'm not talking about tithing and giving to my church; I'm talking about what I give to others because I genuinely believe God wants me to, as an act of honor to Him. I'm blessed to be part of a church body that gives all through the year. From numerous care services to meat provided regularly, there is a spirit of help every day, not just on one designated day of the year. Every Sunday, as I drive onto the church grounds, I see the steers in the pasture and realize they are there to ultimately provide food for those in need. That is their purpose. Giving is part of my honor and praise to God. My purpose is to give of myself as an act of worship to God. 

Yesterday we pondered why; today, I challenge you to expand on that and ask yourself why you give. If you choose to give during this Advent season, what is your reason? 

God gave us Jesus, the ultimate gift. The greatest gift I can give is to share Jesus with others. As with any gift, how it is received isn't up to me; only the giving is my responsibility. How will you share Jesus today?

Challenge: How do you feel when you give? What is your motivation for giving? Do you expect something in return when you give? Ponder today how giving impacts your life.

For further reading, dig into 2 Corinthians chapters 8 & 9. Paul writes extensively about generous giving.  Ponder this: They even did more than we had hoped, for their first action was to give themselves to the Lord and to us, just as God wanted them to do.2 Corinthians 8:5 NLT

Prayer: Lord, help me to have a giving heart. To listen for Your voice and seek to only serve You. Direct my giving in ways that will lead others to You. When I give, multiply that gift so that others will see You and desire to serve You. Lead me in generosity, whether it be money, services, time, or prayer. Let all that I do be to Your glory.  In Jesus' name, Amen. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Lent - What does it mean for me?

  It seems like I just finished writing the Christmas posts, and now we are on Ash Wednesday. "Isn't that only for Catholics?"...