Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Nudges

How many choices have you already made today? Here are just a few that I have made: what to have for breakfast, what to wear, what to take out of the freezer for dinner, how to wear my hair, what fragrance of lotion to use, which person to call first on my business list... the choices go on and on.  Many of the choices we make are just automatic, we do them without giving them a lot of thought. 


When I think back over my life so far, at 60 years old, I have made many choices. Some I regret, but even in regret I have learned valuable lessons. Others I am so thankful that I made the choice (like my current and LAST business) because though thankful of where I am I'm really sorry it took so long to find it. But even in that, I learned so much in my other work ventures that have molded me and brought me to a place that I have things to offer and knowledge that I wouldn't have had if those earlier choices hadn't been made. The biggest lesson I have learned is to always ask people. If I had been asked sooner I can imagine where I would be! The hardest thing for us to let go of is judging the condition and desires of other people. No one knows the deepest desires of my heart, or our financial condition, or our family dreams. Just like I don't know what yours are. I may have an idea, but in reality all I really know is what you show me. How many times have you put on a 'face' for public, or even for family, that is not portraying the real you? We can get very good at hiding our doubt, our frustrations and our worries. As a person of faith I pour those things out to God - often! Then I get up, start the day and always believe that things will turn around.

Over the past 20 years I have worked in so many different jobs and companies. Through each one I always believed I was helping people.  Whether it was teaching, selling a product that I thought would make their lives better or easier, coaching, or serving I worked hard and to my best ability at each one.  The driving force was also what it could do for us. Income mainly. About 7 months ago I was searching. My business at that time was floundering. Though I loved it I was burdened with the thought that I was asking people to spend money on something that perhaps was taking money away from things their family needed more. I prayed for days and the answer came in the most unexpected place, but I listened to that nudge in my heart and I responded. Things were totally shaken up for me! I changed my business path completely - after 3 very hard years of work. I asked my family to believe in me just one more time, that I could succeed at something and that things would really be better. 

I also work at a ministry job that is a true calling. It is what I have trained and prepared for over the years. My heart is in that job. Like many ministry jobs, the uncertainty of continuing pay is looming at each turn. My deepest desire? That I can be so successful at my business that I can do the ministry job as a volunteer. There are large hurdles to jump to get to that place. What keeps me going is the knowledge that the only way I can achieve my goals is to help others.


I don't have dreams of huge houses, or extravagant purchases - I simply want to live debt free, allow my almost 73 year old husband to fully retire, and be able to help even more people. I finally found the 'vehicle' to do that - so instead of seeing the front people choose to expose to me, I will continue to ask questions. I will continue to follow the nudges that led me to this place. I will continue to help. I know that there are so many of you out there that are searching just like I was. If this is your nudge- follow it!



Jeremiah 29:11 For surely I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lent - What does it mean for me?

  It seems like I just finished writing the Christmas posts, and now we are on Ash Wednesday. "Isn't that only for Catholics?"...