Saturday, October 29, 2016

When is the last time you played?




Last year at a women's retreat that I was speaking at we did something a little different.  I have been meeting with these women, off and on, for over 20 years.  We try to have an annual retreat that includes relaxing, Bible study, more relaxing, sharing, cooking, eating etc.  I totally took them by surprise one day when I said "Today we are simply going to PLAY!"   In looking around that room of 50-60 year old women, several said "we play, a lot". I wasn't talking about playing with the grandkids, which of course is play and is important, but real play simply for the fun of it.

The highlight of our day was a mystery trip to go bowling!  Many of us hadn't bowled in many years. Some had gone with kids and grand kids, but on that day it was all about us. We laughed, we bowled badly, but a few got their form back and wowed the crowd. I'm sure others in that building were wondering what was up with those 10 women that went crazy if we simply got the ball down the lane and not in the gutter. We had such fun!  A couple of hours later, with some aching backs, we laughed all the way back to the retreat location. The rest of that day we played games like Catch Phrase, Celebrity, we colored, we sang and danced...... it was truly a day of play.  As you can imagine, in a group of 10 women at our age, we all had things going on in our lives.  There were children and family members battling cancer or other illness, long term medical care issues, financial worries, declining personal health, grief and more.  Did a day of play make those things go away, or lessen their presence in our lives?  No, but it also didn't kill us to laugh! By taking a bit of time to nurture that need for joy in our lives we actually were strengthening our inner self to be able to go back to all of the things we were facing.  Some of the comments after that day of play: "I haven't laughed that hard in so very long, it felt good!" "I should do this more often, I really feel better".  "Why don't we just play more often?"

I've been thinking about that day of play a lot lately.  Imagine how we could bless someone that is struggling if we invite them to just play for awhile?  It doesn't mean you don't care, or that you are making light of whatever situation is being faced, but the value in stopping for awhile and simply being frivolous is healing in its own right.  

For several years I went on 3-4 campouts a year with an all women's camping group. These outings were truly all about play.  Some were simply relaxing times away, with other women that hook up and haul a trailer (large or small) and have some fun.  Others included elaborate party themes, complete with costume dress up and parties.  Play.  When I first joined that group it was during a difficult time in life for our family, worry about our adult daughter and nothing we could really do about it.  To just take a few days away to laugh, share and have fun made those times a bit easier.  Did it make the problem go away? No. Did it mean I didn't care because I was off having fun?  Absolutely not.  But each time I returned from one of those campouts it was like the day was a bit brighter and hope was restored, at least for awhile.    I miss those campouts, and the fellowship with women.  I haven't made it a priority to attend one in a long time. The sharing of our lives and realizing that all of us battle things is a bond that is hard to break. When we play together and pray for one another the load is somehow lightened.

I've been neglecting play lately, and I think that is why it is so heavy on my mind.  Just like all of you we face financial worries (now our 19 year old furnace needs to be replaced), we have medical issues for several family members and as always we wonder what tomorrow will bring.  I hope you will join me in adding some play back into your life.  Not just playing with the 'littles' in your family, though that is great and important, but play for you.  Do it for yourself and you just might be surprised at how good it feels.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Lent - What does it mean for me?

  It seems like I just finished writing the Christmas posts, and now we are on Ash Wednesday. "Isn't that only for Catholics?"...