Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Box, box- what's in the box?!

 
As I continue on the quest to de-clutter and simplify my life I started to tackle the 'guest' bedroom yesterday.  This room also serves as the sleeping quarters for our granddaughters when they visit (often).  Typical of a 1979 ranch style home, this small bedroom has an even smaller closet.  The closet doors were bi-fold, always coming off the track, so a couple of years ago I replaced them with curtains that didn't take up precious space and could be pulled closed to hide the extreme clutter.  This closet has been the dumping ground for everything from Christmas and holiday wrapping supplies, off season clothes, various boxes from multiple moves from our daughter and so much more.  I would find myself constantly stuffing things in this very small space until the curtain was 'flowing' out into the room and there was no denying that a mess was behind them.
 
Amid the 1980's glamour shots, my 1979 military enlistment portrait and my tap shoes from the years of adult tap class I found one box that I had forgotten about.  My mom died 5 years ago this month.  This cardboard banker's box held items that my sister and I had packed away, things Judy didn't want so I brought them home.  I found a pretty set of tiny ceramic plates that used to hang in Mom's kitchen, they will be hanging on my kitchen wall later today.  There were papers, photos, and other random things that I enjoyed looking at and reminiscing over. Then there was "the box".
 
I remember this box, a metal tool or cash box with a spin combination lock.  Of course, no combo to be found.  I tried every possible 3 number  combination that I could think of, nothing worked, so Waylon pried it open for me...... it was heavy and I couldn't imagine what was inside.  Perhaps a secret stash of money? (not likely). Some long forgotten jewels?  (also a long shot).  As he came walking back in from the garage with the pried open box I couldn't wait to see what was inside.......
 
 
The box was obviously my Dad's.  Since he died in 1980 I imagine that it had been closed for all these years.  Mom may have known what was inside, but maybe not.  Knowing her, she probably had the combination but had it filed away somewhere.  Nothing too exciting in this box, mostly tools (12, yes 12 standard head screwdrivers!) a couple of Phillips screwdrivers, some random picture hangers, light switches and a cute little tape measure in a metal case that I remember Dad carrying in his pocket. Nothing of great value but some things that we definitely can use. 
 
Then I noticed glued on the lid was a business card from my Dad's short job as an office supply salesman.  You see, Mom and Dad lost their lease and closed the tire shop that they had owned and managed in Jackson, CA  for most of my childhood.  He then went on a quest to provide - working odd jobs like office supply sales, bar tending and mostly sinking into depression because this hard working man wasn't 'providing' as he always had.  I remember some tough years at our home and now being 58, the age he was when cancer stole his life, I can really identify with what he must have gone through as we too struggle through life in these difficult financial times.  Seeing that business card reminded me that though his business dream was gone, my Dad never gave up.  He worked hard, played harder and was my hero. During those same years Mom started her career with a local title company and went on to work many years at a job she loved.  Opening this box gave me a little glimpse and reminder of them today, and I can hold those tools and imagine Dad's hands using them too.  Rest in peace Vic and Billie Koplin, you left Judy and I a great legacy and taught us about hard work. Just like my Dad when in his 50's, my work dreams have kind of dried up.  The job that I went to school for  (completing my Bachelor of Ministry at age 47) and loved- that  I thought I would retire from is gone.  I still imagine that my Christian ministry teaching, leading  and guidance will have its place in the work I do now. I work hard at several small businesses, to provide. Things change and now I'm working at life coaching and mentoring young women to follow their business and family dreams. I will never forget and I will continue to work hard to make my parents proud.
 
I pray that the few of you reading this will also never give up.  Follow your dreams. When and if they disappear, make new dreams- they may turn out better than you ever imagined.  I'm still dreaming......... 
 
Proverbs 22:6   Direct your children onto the right path, and when they are older, they will not leave it. New Living Translation
 
 
Willa Mae Davis Koplin (Billie) and Victor Lloyd Koplin (Vic) on their wedding day.
July 3, 1947

 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Connie for sharing this story! It was a joy to read and gives another glimpse into your inner beauty. Such a sweet remembrance and tribute of your parents, but also a story full of faith, courage and perseverance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading Cindy! I have to keep on, I get distracted in the memorabilia! But such fond memories they are.....

    ReplyDelete

Lent - What does it mean for me?

  It seems like I just finished writing the Christmas posts, and now we are on Ash Wednesday. "Isn't that only for Catholics?"...