Saturday, December 5, 2015

December 5 - "Advent in Action" - Yours!

The first week of the advent season is coming to a close.  Our "waiting" for Jesus and our "why Jesus" question is drawing closer to the answer.  So today I challenge you to reflect on this last week.  Perhaps you read through these devotional ramblings quickly during the week, maybe set aside time to ponder them a bit more:  the unexpected and out of the norm people in your lineage and how they have shaped you; the expectations you have vs the reality; your hopes, and what you treasure at this time in your life.  We are in the busiest time of year, for most of us.  The company parties are coming up, the family events are filling our calendars, community events that are not to be missed - all of these things draw our time and attention away from what advent is really about, the waiting.  We rush so fast and hard in the midst of "Christmas" that we miss the waiting.  

This year we also are battling a new distraction.  There has always been violence and strife in the world, but it is coming closer to home now.  We are starting to experience, here in America, some of the brutality and senseless agony that many around the world deal with daily and have for so very long. I have a challenge for you today.  After you read this post, carve out a bit of time to sit and reflect on what you are doing to spread the light of Christ during this season rather than dwell in the darkness. How are you making the world better, instead of contributing to the gloom and despair?

I would like to share with you a passage from one of my favorite devotional books.  I have been using this daily devo since 1994 - and every year when I read the daily pages it continues to speak to me.  The manuscript was originally written as a series of lectures to Bible students in England in the early 1900's.  The author's wife had the letters complied into book form and then later James Reimann took the manuscript and updated it for today's language.  My Utmost for His Highest  by Oswald Chambers is the best selling devotional book of all time.  This is a portion of the entry for December 4, and it speaks to me strongly today:

Anything that does not strengthen me morally is the enemy of virtue within me. Whether I overcome, thereby producing virtue, depends on the level of moral excellence in my life. But we must fight to be moral. Morality does not happen by accident; moral virtue is acquired. And spirituality is also the same. Jesus said, "In the world you will have tribulation ... (John 16:33). This means that anything which is not spiritual leads to my downfall. Jesus went on to say ... "but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world."  I must learn to fight against and overcome the things that come against me, and in that way produce the balance of holiness.  Then it becomes a delight to meet opposition.  Holiness is the balance between my nature and the law of God as expressed in Jesus Christ.

Will you join the masses that are just as angry as those perpetuating violence against us OR will you stand firm, in the morality of God, and serve.  It is a hard choice, but as I wait and ask "why Jesus" today I will strive to serve.

Enjoy all of the 'trappings of the season' - but also, as you go about your busy-ness, pause and pray-reflect-ponder how you can be light to someone else.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Lent - What does it mean for me?

  It seems like I just finished writing the Christmas posts, and now we are on Ash Wednesday. "Isn't that only for Catholics?"...