Wednesday, December 9, 2015

It's all about family

The story of Ruth is somewhat difficult for us to understand.  The laws of the land had strict guidelines about family provision, and while some of the treatment of women and how things were done were (and sometimes still are) very foreign to us, it was commonplace during that time and that land.  Naomi was concerned for her daughter in law and her future.  While at first glance the story may see that Naomi is scheming and conniving in securing a future for Ruth, she really was just going back to all that she had known and been taught according to how families provide for one another. I think our society needs a little more of that these days.

Much of this won't make sense unless you read the continuing story of Ruth.  Today in Chapter 2:21-3:18 Naomi instructs Ruth to go the next step, to "go to the threshing floor (where they had finished working after the harvest) and uncover Boaz's feet and lie down". One of my study Bibles states it this way: Although Naomi's instructions may appear forward, the moral integrity of Naomi and Ruth is never in doubt.  Naomi's instruction to Ruth is clearly for the purpose of appealing to Boaz's kinsman obligation.  (Boaz was a relative of Naomi's husband).  Ruth's actions were a request for marriage. Ruth was a stranger to Israelite customs, so she had to be told in detail how to make her appeal to her kinsman for protection and marriage.

Sometimes we just need to listen to our mama!  (Or in this case, mother in law.) I really don't like people telling me what to do, but boy howdy do I like to tell others what to do!!  I know this about myself, and it takes conscious effort to reign it in sometimes.  I grew up with wise and kind parents, they taught with gentle instruction, but I knew where the 'line' was and not to cross it.  I also watched them, I listened to them and my good qualities were passed along from my parents as I'm sure theirs were from their parents.  I realize, now that I am older, that the values I hold most dear are those that were passed along from my parents. When I read the accounts in the Bible they seem so foreign, written in a land and time that I can't imagine being part of.  The customs are so very different than ours.  Then I started studying the Bible in depth, and went on to take as many courses as possible, ultimately working as a Christian Educator. The more I studied, the more I wanted to know!  When you start reading the Bible as a whole, as God's redeeming story that is recorded for us, then it all starts to fall in place. Just like the family tree of Jesus being recorded in Matthew, these accounts of real people point us to God.  He is giving us that background so we can understand a little better the answers to our advent question of "why Jesus". One thing that really gets under my skin is how often people will pull one verse out and make their point, usually in an argument, about "this is what the Bible says". Doctrines, and whole belief systems have been formed by this practice. I challenge you to not give in to the throwing around of verses to make your point, but to really learn the whole story, to understand the process of kinsman redeemer and see why this is important to us.  To feel that connection to God and His provision for us. 

Boaz takes notice of Ruth because of her kindness to her mother-in-law and her hard work. What traits do you think people would mention in describing your close relationships? Take a moment today and sit in God's presence and give thanks for the lessons you have learned from the people who surrounded you in your early life.  May your prayer today be "thank you for those who formed me".  And one more thing: perhaps you are one that didn't have a good influence or the instruction in your family was oppressive and abusive - my prayer is that you read the story of Ruth even more deeply, to discover that there really is a loving Redeemer for you, and should you want to talk about "why Jesus" - that is exactly why I write.  Message me!! God loves you too...............


No comments:

Post a Comment

Lent - What does it mean for me?

  It seems like I just finished writing the Christmas posts, and now we are on Ash Wednesday. "Isn't that only for Catholics?"...