Monday, June 13, 2016

All set!

I don't eat jelly.  I like to make it, but I don't eat it!  I'm really not much of a sweet eater when it comes to certain things, like my peanut butter sandwiches for example.  I grew up making my sandwiches with butter.  I assume that was because both of my parents, having grown up in the depression era, lived the farm life and butter was readily available.  I know we had mayonnaise (never Miracle Whip!) and mustard in our home but it never made its way onto my sandwiches.  I still prefer to eat my peanut butter with butter! 

My husband is a jelly, jam and preserves lover.  Since I like the process of canning I do make these things for him but it can be difficult since I don't eat them, so I rely on him to tell me if the finished product is good.  I made a batch of strawberry jam last season and for some reason it never set.  I did eat it as a sauce over ice cream, but as a jam it just wasn't quite right. This year it was blackberry jelly.  There is something about this entire process that is pleasing to me: gathering the berries at a local orchard, while visiting and laughing with my sister.  There was also a sense of urgency, at times, because our husbands were waiting for us.  We knew they were probably ready to get back to the air conditioned living room and watch some golf on TV.  Judy  and I don't get to spend much time together, so we mostly just went on and enjoyed the picking.

Having that wonderful box of berries I had many thoughts running through my head "Should I make a cobbler? Eat them fresh? Or make something preserved?" While jam would be easier I opted for jelly since the seeds in blackberries can be bothersome.   The entire process, from picking to washing, boiling and straining out the juice, then boiling again with the sugar added, to filling the jars and boiling yet again in the water bath are all important. Each step in the canning process serves a purpose, and in order to get that perfect set in the jelly those steps need to be followed.  The ratio of juice, to sugar, and a touch of lemon juice for balance are all important.  Then there is the pectin!   I learned early on that different fresh fruits have varying amounts of natural pectin in them so that ingredient also needs to be adjusted.  My strawberry jam last year never set properly, either the sugar to pectin ratio was off or the processing time, I'm not really sure.  



I do a lot of thinking when I'm cooking, baking or canning.  There are many things I make that I never eat, yet I enjoy the process so much and the satisfaction when others enjoy the finished product.  It gives me joy to know that something I labored over makes someone else happy.  It can be hard though to not taste and know if the finished product is actually good.  I do all of the preparation, I pay close attention to doing things right but sometimes it just doesn't go as planned, like with my strawberry jam last year.  I could give up, but I love the process so much and it is important to me to do for others that I keep on making and giving.

It is the same for me in sharing my faith.  All of the ingredients came together for me a very long time ago.  My life looks very different than yours, and I enjoy things in a different way than you do - you may prefer mayo rather than butter, or *gasp* Miracle Whip!  You may pray silently where I might stand in an open field and shout to God.  I might raise my hands and stand up while praising in church and you may sit quietly and take it all in.  While there are certain elements of the Christian life that I believe are essential, it all comes together and 'sets' for each of us in a different way.  I will continue to perfect my recipe for life, and I will continue to serve the joy in a way you like, even if it is different than mine.  We each have a different piece in God's plan and I love how we all fit together.  And I'm glad my jelly set this year, even though I will never eat it!


PS "Wow, you got the texture, firmness of the jelly perfect this time. When you can put it on your spoon and hold it and it doesn't fall off, that is a good sign!"  Waylon




No comments:

Post a Comment

Lent - What does it mean for me?

  It seems like I just finished writing the Christmas posts, and now we are on Ash Wednesday. "Isn't that only for Catholics?"...