Thursday, July 14, 2016

"That makes me SO MAD!"

Sometimes I don't like being nice. I want to pout, lash out, retaliate and get revenge.  When someone acts childish or says things about me, or my loved ones, that are not true I want to set them straight.  It's kind of like the mess of our politics in this country right now. We are provided very slanted views of every story and situation, from both sides.  Just like events and encounters in my life - every story has two sides.

How do you respond  when confronted with disrespect or lies?  How do you answer when someone talks down or ugly to you?  I can give it back with both barrels. I also know that day to day I have two very small and impressionable little girls watching me.  Since they already live in a blended family, with difficulties and situations out of my control, I have to be careful about how I present things to them.  I have to guard my mouth and my actions because they are always watching.  While they are looking to me for guidance, I know God is looking at me and thinking "how is she going to handle this thing?  How is she going to react this time?"  It really serves no purpose to  show the ugly side of myself, I would much prefer to show grace and understanding.  But it sure is hard sometimes!

One thing that  keeps me on track, or helps me to get BACK on track is by centering myself with prayer, Scripture and other devotional writings.  Here is a portion of today's reading from one of my favorites that I quote often:

Suffering afflictions and going the second mile.  "I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also" Matthew 5:39
This verse reveals the humiliation of being a Christian. In the natural realm, if a person does not hit back, it is because he is  coward.  But in the spiritual realm, it is the very evidence of the Son of God in him, if he does not hit back.  When you are insulted, you must not only not resent it, but you must make it an opportunity to exhibit the Son of God in your life. And you cannot imitate the nature of Jesus - it is either in you or it is not,  A personal insult becomes an opportunity for a saint to reveal the incredible sweetness of the Lord Jesus........ Never look for righteousness in the other person, but never cease to be righteous yourself.  We are always looking for justice, yet the essence of the teaching of the Sermon on the Mount is - never look for justice, but never cease to give it.  My Utmost for His Highest, Oswald Chambers.

Only by constantly reading and reminding myself am I able to work toward this. When I try to do it on my own the negative reactions take over.  I'm writing today because it is one of those days that I NEED reminding!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Lent - What does it mean for me?

  It seems like I just finished writing the Christmas posts, and now we are on Ash Wednesday. "Isn't that only for Catholics?"...