Monday, November 28, 2016

Anticipation - what's coming?

Yesterday as I sat in worship and listened to the guest speaker, I was touched by the young woman's words and I pondered something she said all day.  At nearly 60 years old I have experienced many Advent seasons, many special church services and I know the routine of what is to come in the church calendar year.  So why do I get excited and just as thrilled each time Advent rolls around? It was a comment she made that resonated with me - putting myself back in the time scripture was written, trying to imagine the people it was spoken and written to originally. They were waiting for a messiah, they didn't know what form he would take.  They had ideas in their minds, but still they didn't know.  There was hope, there was wonder, and there was faith.

I know the end of the story. I know who Jesus is and what he has done for my life and the lives of countless others.  Am I still waiting for the promise of peace, trust, love and forgiveness?  Absolutely! Even though I know, I still wait in anticipation of his second coming.  His fulfillment of God's plan for all of us. I know there are skeptics, and even some of you reading this may think "that is all well and good, I love the good 'feels' but look at our world?  There is no invisible Savior that is going to change things.  It's just how things are and people are the only thing that will change the world."  Put yourself back in those early days - don't you think the people the prophets were speaking to thought the same things? They experienced oppression, slavery, hunger, disease, perversion and all of the things we still see today.   Yet many of them kept looking, kept watching and kept believing that their messiah would come.  They had that trust and faith that someday good would win.  

That is what I anticipate each year when Advent comes around.  I still trust and believe that good will win.  I read the ancient text and try to put myself back there, not knowing but still believing that things will be different.  It can be hard to do that when you are already a believer.  I also looked around the sanctuary yesterday and wondered how many people were sitting there thinking "oh, all the pretty decorations will be up soon, the choir cantata is in a couple of weeks, I have decided on my extra giving for the season,  I love it when the manger scene is up there on the altar area"...... those things are Advent for many people. While I grew up with the traditions of all of those things, and I still choose to worship in a place that enjoys them, that is not what I'm waiting for.  The anticipation of peace, true acceptance and love is what I am waiting for.   Some of you may also be stifling a chuckle or full on belly laugh when you know that I am a Christmas decorating fanatic.  Here is a little glimpse into the weird person that I am:  my Christmas decor and my approach to Advent are two very different things.  I surround myself and adorn my home with items that are sentimental and treasured.  My prayers and thoughts/actions about Advent are something else entirely.  I prefer to sit in a dark place, with perhaps a candle, or out walking, away from noise and all distraction and connect with my God.  I deeply ponder how I can be different as I journey through Advent.  I anticipate the change in my life as I wait for my Messiah - as I wait for pain, suffering, disease, poverty and despair to end.  I get excited about the secular aspect of what we celebrate at Christmas.  But my soul longs for the beauty and simplicity of Advent.  I treasure connecting with the words of ancient Scripture that still bring life to me today.

So what is coming?  We may think we know, we put our spin on it and have the next few weeks all planned out.  My challenge to you today - put yourself in the place of those hearing the words of Isaiah for the first time.  Imagine what it would feel like to have that kind of hope and truly believe it will happen.  I still believe........ I wait.


Isaiah 11:1-10 Out of the stump of David's family will grow a shoot - yes, a new Branch bearing fruit from the old root. And the Spirit of the Lord will rest on him - the Spirit of wisdom and understanding, the Spirit of wise counsel and might, the Spirit of knowledge and the fear of the Lord.  He will delight in obeying the Lord. He will not judge by the appearance nor make decision based on hearsay. He will give justice to the poor and make fair decisions for the exploited. The earth will shake at the force of his word and one breath from his mouth will destroy the wicked. He will wear righteousness  like a belt and truth like an undergarment. In that day the  wolf and lamb will live together, the leopard will lie down with the baby goat.  The calf and the  yearling will be safe with the lion, and a little child will lead them all.  The cow will graze near the bear. The cub and the calf will  lie down together. The lion will eat hay like a cow. The baby will play safely near the hole of a cobra. Yes, a little child will put its hand in the nest of deadly snakes without harm. Nothing will hurt or destroy in all my holy mountain, for as the waters fill the sea, so the earth will be filled with people who know the Lord.  In that day the heir to David's throne will be a banner of salvation to all the world. The nations will rally to him, and the land where he lives will be a glorious place. NLT

Prayer for today:  Victims of human trafficking.   This is a HUGE problem in the United States, and Houston, TX has become a top location in the world for this practice.  We can't sweep it under the rug, inform yourself so that you know what to look for.   Here is a site (one of many) where you can learn more. It's not just dark alleys and immigrants - it's our young teens, small town boys and girls and your neighbor.  Be informed, and pray!

http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/oese/oshs/factsheet.html   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lent - What does it mean for me?

  It seems like I just finished writing the Christmas posts, and now we are on Ash Wednesday. "Isn't that only for Catholics?"...