Thursday, December 7, 2017

Which way should I go? (Advent 2017)

*Fastest route
*Least traffic
*Scenic route
*No tolls

When you are planning a trip, what things do you consider in planning your route? I love to take scenic routes, mostly because there are so many interesting and unique things to discover. What looks like a town with nothing to offer, when driving by on the interstate, often reveals a charming few blocks of boutiques, shops and diners. Unless you venture off the most traveled path you miss it!

About 16 years ago we took a family trip and drove from Texas to Kentucky to visit our niece and her husband where they were attending seminary. It was a lovely drive, and though we did do some stretches of interstate we also stopped at some wonderful attractions along the way.  I fondly remember visiting Graceland, and my family laughing at me when I shed tears at Elvis' graveside. I also loved Shakertown and the step back in time. I was homeschooling our daughter at that time so we incorporated history lessons into our travels. One unexpected treat, that was not planned, was our visit to Abraham Lincoln's cabin. We hadn't planned on visiting and as we were driving along (I do all the driving) my husband noticed the First Abraham Lincoln Memorial noted on the map. We had to exit and drive a little different route, but it was so worth it!


Inside this memorial is a replica cabin of Lincoln's childhood home.  Nearby is the Sinking Spring where the family gathered water. It brings history to life to see these things rather than just read about them in a textbook. If we hadn't taken an alternate route we would have missed it. 

I also think about planning routes when I fly: 

*fastest flight time
*non-stop or layovers
*time of day - arrivals and departures
*convenience to destination

All of these things come in to play when planning a route.  For me, I don't mind a few layovers because it usually means saving money. There are so many things to consider when planning a route. You can't really have a pleasant journey without planning your route and what you want to accomplish on that route.

When I think about my Advent journey this year route planning is essential. Do I want to just rush through the fastest way possible to arrive at my destination? The time and days to get to Christmas will be the same, but the route I take to get there is in my control.  

So what things come in to play in your route planning? There are things I want to 'see' along the way, so the scenic route is my choice. I want to take in all of the wonders of the season, the Scripture story, the connection with people and the remembering of my parents. They formed my early life, and I spend time remembering the ways they loved my sister and me, how we always knew that home was a safe place. I can't call them on the phone anymore, or sit around a table with them. Yet their presence is with me always.

Though Christmas is not about 'stuff' and decor, the items I place all around my home during the holidays are part of my scenic route. I have ornaments on my tree that our daughter made in elementary school. I have items that I remember my Mom placing around our home each year. We use a Christmas tree skirt that was Waylon's first wife's. Our home is filled with 'stuff' but it all is there to remind me of the treasures of life. Some of the cups are chipped or cracked, just like our lives have cracks and imperfections. When I hold that Santa mug in my hand I'm reminded of filling it with milk on Christmas Eve with my Dad, to make sure Santa had a treat at our house.  That fragile, cracked ceramic mug won't hold milk anymore, but it surely holds love.

We have over 2 weeks until reaching our destination, which route will you take to get there? Will you just rush through on the speedy toll road? What price will you pay to get there fast? 
Consider a different route this year, one filled with treasures that you can only see if you get off the fast lane. 

Luke 10:38-42 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. but Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!"  "Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed - or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."

Advent challenge #4 - Take some time to be "Mary" today. Instead of rushing, doing and stressing take the simple route of "being". 

Prayer: Lord I want to see You today. Help me slow down, get off the fast track and look for blessings of Your presence today. Help me show You to others as well. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lent - What does it mean for me?

  It seems like I just finished writing the Christmas posts, and now we are on Ash Wednesday. "Isn't that only for Catholics?"...