Thursday, February 11, 2016

Bunk Beds and Dormer Windows

For as long as I can remember I have loved small spaces.  Cubbyholes, dormer windows with a reading nook and bunk beds. When I visit places for camp or retreat and there are multiple sleeping choices I want the corner or a place with walls around me.  I want to feel cozy and protected.  It is interesting because my husband is somewhat claustrophobic, and will get mildly anxious if in tight spaces or closed in. 

I also find it interesting that I prefer the mountains over the ocean or prairie. I love sitting in that dormer nook and looking out at soaring peaks and tall trees.  When I think about the lenten journey through the wilderness perhaps that is one reason I get anxious.  To see the vast and open desert before me, wide open space that needs to be crossed when I would prefer my safe and cozy nest or den. Surrounding myself with things that make me comfortable.  All the years I lived in west Texas I did appreciate the vast and beautiful skyline- with blazing sunrises and sunsets, but it really was too 'open' for me.  I want trees and large boulders around me, sheltering me and hiding me if necessary. I don't like to be exposed.  I like dark rooms for sleep, cloudy winter days to cuddle in by a fire and a bottom bunk or dormer to hide in. 

Lent is a time of exposure.  Laying open our hearts to examine them and bringing things out in the open. It is a time to dig deep and unearth the sin and issues that trouble you.  Things that are often pushed down and buried rather than brought out and allowed to be cleansed and freshened in the Light.

Psalm 32: 1 Oh what joy for those whose disobedience is forgiven, whose sin is put out of sight!
5 Finally I confessed all my sins to you and stopped trying to hide my guilt. I said to myself, "I will confess my rebellion to the Lord". And you forgave me!  All my guilt is gone.
7-8 For you are my hiding place; you protect me from trouble. You surround me with songs of victory. The Lord says, "I will guide you along the best pathway for your life. I will advise you and watch over you.

While I prefer to snuggle into a bunk bed or a cozy dormer window and observe the world around me while safely tucked into space that I control, I also know that I can't hide from God.  He is with me in all places, even the wide open and scary wilderness.   When Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted the devil did this:

Matthew 4:8-11 Next the devil took him to the peak of a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory. "I will give it all to you", he said,  "if you will kneel and worship me."  "Get out of here Satan," Jesus told him, "For  the Scriptures say You must worship the Lord your God and serve only him".  The the devil  went away, and angels came and took care of Jesus.

It is sometimes easier to stay in the safe and protected places, to be comfortable.  Today allow yourself to stand on the mountain or at the edge of an open desert and look at your life.  Open your heart and choose who and what you will worship.  Will you chase after the treasures and glory?  Or will you follow the path God has laid out for you?  It may not be clear, it may take you to places you don't want to go, yet as you walk through the wilderness and listen for God's voice you will not be led astray.  Let the angels tend to you this day in your open and exposed places.  I prefer observing from a dormer window, so let's venture out together!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lent - What does it mean for me?

  It seems like I just finished writing the Christmas posts, and now we are on Ash Wednesday. "Isn't that only for Catholics?"...