Sunday, February 21, 2016

Silence and distraction!

It has been a week since I wrote a devotional thought on this blog.  My intentions for lent were to write every day.  Instead - silence.  I have been contemplating my spiritual journey, my work endeavors and my life in general.  In all of that pondering - silence.  I spent more time with noise turned off, I looked at decisions I have been making about my spiritual well being as well as my physical self.  I have been distracted.  Isn't that how the wilderness is!? Things come at us, to tempt us away from our walk with God and our determination to 'do the right things'.

This quote by C.S. Lewis is speaking to my heart today

The Christian way is different: harder, and easier. Christ says, "Give me All.  I don't want so much of your time and so much of your money and so much of your work: I want You.  I have not come to torment your natural self, but to kill it.  No half-measures are any good. I don't want to cut off a branch here and a branch there, I want to have the whole tree cut down.....Hand over the whole natural self, all the desires which you think innocent as well as the ones you think wicked - the whole outfit. I will give you a new self instead. In fact, I will give you Myself: my own will shall become yours."   - From Mere Christianity

I write these entries for me.  I share them because I feel called to do so.  Once I hit 'send' I have been obedient.  If they are read is of no matter- I simply do what my heart tells me to do.  What distracts you?  Is it family, or hobbies?  Do you get torn away by pleasure after a long hard work week?  Do the pile of bills and debt take your mind away from focusing on your heart and your purpose?  


Silence is good - my challenge to myself is this: let the silence I love lead me closer to the person God is calling me to be.  I don't want the distractions to lead me away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lent - What does it mean for me?

  It seems like I just finished writing the Christmas posts, and now we are on Ash Wednesday. "Isn't that only for Catholics?"...