Thursday, March 2, 2017

What breaks your heart?

A couple of months ago I attended a leadership retreat for a ministry job that I was participating in.  During that retreat we had one session on a small portion of Scripture that really spoke to me.  Since that time I have pondered and pondered it and a few weeks ago I knew, without doubt, that I would choose that book for my Lenten focus.  It is quite unusual as a study for this season of preparation, reflection, repentance and journeying with Jesus. I have always shared that I write this blog space for myself and if anyone else reads it I just pray that there is a nugget  that speaks to the heart.  So let's go on a journey these next few weeks as we travel the road to the Cross, and I hope my musings and reflection spark something in you as well.



Have you ever been so troubled by something, some circumstance or situation, that when you hear about it you just weep?  I'm not talking just personal and family issues, but large things that seem so impossible to make right that the overwhelm just stops you in your tracks. Now I will NOT venture into politics or other social issues of our day as those very things cause me to stop and weep, I'm thinking more on a personal level.  I know what things loom in front of me, or a better description would be what seem to be crumbling before me and how impossible it seems to fix them.  Come on a journey with me to the world of Nehemiah.  Most of this book is written in the first person and there is  some question as to whether it is written in part by Ezra. Nehemiah was a cupbearer to King Artaxerxes.   

Nehemiah 1:1-4  These are the memoirs of Nehemiah son of Hacaliah.  It was late autumn in the month of Kislev, in the twentieth year of King Artaxerxes' reign. I was at the fortress of Susa. Hanani, one of my brothers, came to visit me with some other men who had just arrived from Judah.  I asked them about the Jews who had returned there from captivity and about how things were going in Jerusalem.  They said to me, "Things are not going so well for those who returned to the province of Judah.  They are in great trouble and disgrace.  The wall of Jerusalem has been torn down, and the gates have been destroyed by fire."  When I heard this, I sat down and wept.  In fact, for days I mourned, fasted, and prayed to the God of heaven.   NLT

I don't know about you, but sometimes I just need a good cry!  I even wrote a bit about crying the other day.  Nehemiah had a heart for the city, and the people.  His first reaction was weeping.  Look at what else he did - fasted, prayed and turned to God.  Those are common disciplines for Lent.  As I sat in Ash Wednesday worship yesterday those very things were talked about and encouraged for the next 40 days.  They certainly will be part of my practices, but this year I'm intentionally thinking big.  I'm looking at a life situation that seems impossible, insurmountable and so out of the question to be fixed that it just makes me weep, and I'm turning to God.

Your challenge today is to do what Nehemiah did- ask the question.  "How are things going?"  Take a good look deep inside at the big mountains you are facing and ask "how is it going? What is the condition I'm in, and what is the biggest thing that needs repair?"  

Prayer and focus for today:  Lord help me take the blinders off.  Reveal to me the real issue(s) that are facing me.  Help me not to ignore them but to weep for the situation, then pray and turn to You.  Today may my heart be opened to the pain, so that I can hold it, look at it and acknowledge it.  Help me see and then call me to You for help.  In Jesus' name I pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lent - What does it mean for me?

  It seems like I just finished writing the Christmas posts, and now we are on Ash Wednesday. "Isn't that only for Catholics?"...