Thursday, March 23, 2017

No matter what!

How do you respond to pressure and difficulty?  I'm finding, just recently, that I'm changing how I respond.  I used to just shut down and hide when things got hard.  It has taken lots of prayer, self-talk and determination to change my reactions.   Yesterday I was talking to a loved one and can't believe that these words came out of my mouth "either things will go how we want, or they will go opposite but they will still happen.  We can choose to expect the best and adjust if they don't or we can worry and fret to make ourselves sick about it - I'm choosing to expect the best".  I can't tell you how much time I have spent in the past worrying, being extremely pessimistic and doubtful.  If I had only learned this behavior much sooner I think some of my stress would have been less.  

I'm really enjoying this study of Nehemiah, so applicable for my life right now, I hope you are too!  Let's see what is happening next:

Nehemiah 4:7-14 But when the Sanballat and Tobiah and the Arabs, Ammonites, and Ashodites heard the work was going ahead and that the gaps in the wall of Jerusalem were being repaired, they were furious. They all made plans to come and fight against Jerusalem and throw us into confusion. But we prayed to our God and guarded the city day and night to protect ourselves. Then the people of Judah began to complain. "The workers are getting tired, and there is so much rubble to be moved. We will never be able to build the wall by ourselves. Meanwhile, our enemies were saying, "Before they  know what is happening, we will swoop down on them and kill them and end their work". The Jews who lived near the enemy came and told us again and again, "They will come from all directions and attack us!" So I placed armed guards behind the lowest parts of the wall in the exposed areas.  I stationed the people to stand guard by families, armed with swords, spears, and bows. Then as I looked over the situation, I called together the nobles and the rest of the people and said to them, "Don't be afraid of the enemy! Remember the Lord, who is great and glorious, and fight for your brothers, your sons, your daughters, your wives, and your homes!"

Opposition and trials WILL come to us! It's all in how we choose to handle them.  When things get too hard and seem impossible the easy road is to just say "I give up, it will never work - there is just 'too much rubble' to be removed".  But then here comes Nehemiah! Ever looking to God and always keeping his vision and goal in mind.  Who is the Nehemiah for you?  Perhaps it is you?  Take heed of Nehemiah's choices: 1) Pray 2) Take action 3) Take more action! 4) Believe and encourage those around you, share your hope with them. 5) Again, give thanks to God.   Lastly - don't give up , fight.


Times are hard right now, but I certainly don't want to stay here!  How will you react to challenges today?  Keep following the example of Nehemiah: stay tuned in to God, do what you can, and keep going.  

John 16:33   I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.

Prayer:  Lord help me be bold today.  Help me face whatever obstacles and challenges come my way.  Help me encourage others, so that we can work together in Your power and grace.  In Jesus' name ~ Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lent - What does it mean for me?

  It seems like I just finished writing the Christmas posts, and now we are on Ash Wednesday. "Isn't that only for Catholics?"...