Wednesday, March 8, 2017

We gotta have a plan.......

It's been a week since Ash Wednesday.  As you started on the Lenten journey did you have a plan?  As you set aside time to focus over these 40 days did you think of all of the obstacles that you might encounter?  Sometimes we don't know what will happen, but if you plan for the known things the unknown can often be handled better.  Having a plan is a good idea.

Let's see what Nehemiah is up to today:

Nehemiah 2: 7-10  I also said to the king, "If it please the king, let me have letters addressed to the governors of the province west of the Euphrates River, instructing them to let me travel safely through their territories on my way to Judah. And please give me a letter addressed to Asaph, the manager of the king's forest, instructing him to give me timber. I will need it to make beams for the gates of the Temple fortress, for the city walls, and for a house for myself."  And the king granted these requests, because the gracious hand of God was on me.  When I came to the governors of the province west of the Euphrates River, I delivered the king's letters to them.  The king, I should add, had sent along army officers and horsemen, to protect me.  But when Sanballat the Horonite and Tobiah the Ammonite official heard of my arrival, they were very displeased that someone had come to help the people of Israel.  NLT

I sometimes just jump into things without thinking it through.  That obviously wasn't the case for Nehemiah.  When you read the account of his requests to the king he obviously had a plan.  It also shows that he must have been a favored part of the king's court, from the generosity extended to him along with favors he didn't even ask for. Through it all, his goal was to help people.   I have been known to tackle a new recipe, thinking I had all of the ingredients in my pantry only to discover half way through that I was missing one crucial item.  I also have a large stash of yarn and get a pattern out thinking I have enough to complete the project only to get to the end and be just short of needed supplies because I didn't plan well enough.  Though I don't do those things as often as I used to, (I learned from my hasty mistakes) I still have to remind myself to have a plan!

Do you have plans for your life?  I have big plans and little plans.  Short term goals and long term.  In the past, when working with life coaching clients, I have helped them do exactly that, make plans.  I think most people try to work with goals but unless you really sit down and gather all of your tools and information it is hard to formulate an effective plan. Nehemiah thought of all the issues and situations he might face and he planned for them. Did he encounter unexpected things along the way?  No doubt.  But since he planned for what he did expect he could better handle the unexpected.  

In my family we like to work jigsaw puzzles.  As I was thinking about working a puzzle it went right along with my thoughts on having a plan.  We tend to start with the edges.  We know what to expect, we have the dimensions that are known and we can get that foundation in place before moving forward.  We have a picture to work our puzzle, we know what the finished product will look like.  But as we sort through the piles of pieces we encounter the unexpected.  We start to notice little details that we missed when looking at the big picture.   As we slowly work through each area everything comes in to clearer focus. The plan may be jumbled at first, and a piece may be missing here and there, but by keeping our eyes on the finished product we keep on. 


Nehemiah had a plan.  He moved forward with that plan and goal in his sight.  As you go through your day keep your ultimate goal in sight, plan for how you will reach it and be prepared for the unexpected along the way.  My goal for Lent?  Draw ever closer to God. My plan for this day?  Look at all of my options in business, family, friends and self - think about how I can help others and be of value to them.  By keeping my sights and determination on that helping attitude, I know I will complete the task.  

Prayer: Lord help me this day to look ahead.  Help me think things through and plan for those things that I know.  Bring to mind what I need to be my best.  Help me prepare for the unexpected and like Nehemiah be thankful to You for having your gracious hand upon me.  In Jesus' name I pray.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Lent - What does it mean for me?

  It seems like I just finished writing the Christmas posts, and now we are on Ash Wednesday. "Isn't that only for Catholics?"...