Friday, March 31, 2017

Be Prepared

I have spent the last week administering and scoring personality tests and results with a class of women I am working with.  I always love doing personality tests!  What I love even more is seeing the expression on a face when I share the results - it's as if they think I am a mind reader!  It is all in the answering of the questions.   Knowing your personality type can help you learn behaviors and how to respond or react when confronted with various situations. Not only knowing your own personality type, but also understanding opposing types can often help in helping you cope with situations. 

While I love working with this topic and helping others understand it, I also know that my faith adds another whole twist on things.  My personal 'type' is to be very scheduled - organized and have things planned out and know what is coming next. I rely on myself, and it is my nature to take control.  I like to have a plan and then execute that plan and also make sure others do as well.  Life doesn't always go according to my plans!

This blog is a perfect example of how life gets me going in different directions.  I had a plan, a schedule for this entire season of Lent.  I knew what I wanted to post, when, and I even had the rough outline for the entire season.  As you can see, it has been 8 days since my last post - definitely not what I had planned.  Many unknowns, in business, in family life and just the days in general threw me off track.  My perfectly laid out plan went awry.  The very cool thing is that through it all the one thing that didn't waver was my faith.  I became extremely tuned in to God - I trusted deeply that things would work out, even when it seemed impossible.  And this last week that is exactly what happened.  I kept trusting, kept praying, and kept believing.  

Let's take a look at what has happened next with Nehemiah since my last post (we ended with Nehemiah encouraging others to not give up, to not be afraid as they faced the enemies).

Nehemiah 4:15-23 When our enemies heard that we knew of their plans and that God had frustrated them, we all returned to our work on the wall. But from then on, only half my men worked while the other half stood guard with spears, shields, bows and coats of mail. The leaders stationed themselves behind the people of Judah who were building the wall. The laborers carried on their work with one hand supporting their load and one hand holding a weapon.  All the builders had a sword belted to their side. The trumpeter stayed with me to sound the alarm. Then I explained to the nobles and officials and all the people, "The work is very spread out, and we are widely separated from each other along the wall. When you hear the blast of the trumpet, rush to wherever it is sounding. Then our God will fight for us!"  We worked early and late, from sunrise to sunset. And half the men were always on guard. I also told everyone living outside the walls to stay in Jerusalem. That way they and their servants could help with guard duty at night and work during the day. During this time, none of us - not I, nor my relatives, nor my servants, nor the guards who were with me - ever took off our clothes. We carried our weapons with us at all times, even when we went for water. NLT

I tend to be a loner - I depend on myself, I get things done and don't like having to depend on others.  This last two weeks have  been a real challenge!  My personal home business relies on team work.  Mostly it depends on me to drive success and results, but there is an element of needing others that can't be denied.  Likewise my work at the non-profit also relies heavily on the contributions of others.  I was laboring so intensively, and trying so hard to get it all done by myself that the enemy was gaining a foothold.  I had a few evenings of illness creeping in, I didn't know how things would get done, I saw the whole thing crumbling after months of hard work.  Just like the workers on the wall - I was tired.  The enemy was closing in and I was about to give up.  Deep inside the 'never give up' attitude took hold.  I first turned to my trusted prayer partners and expressed my anguish over how things were going.  I was open and honest about feeling like a failure.  Then I told others - I shared openly with those also working on the project.  Like Nehemiah, I decided to stand my ground and keep working!  I called others to be on guard and to keep working as well. These last few days I have never let my guard down - fervent prayer, sharing needs with others and working together for a common goal and God is providing for and empowering us.  


These last months there was never any question that God led me to the two jobs I have. The way they each came about was so unbelievable that I knew it was from God.  I think knowing that is what woke me up from my slump of defeat to dig that morsel of hope out of the depths and nurture it, to keep going.  I'm sure more obstacles will come, but I'm sharpening my weapons, I'm going to be prepared for the challenges that the enemy shoots my way.  Imagine Jesus in the wilderness, how must he have felt at this point?  The temptation and challenges must have been extreme at this point in those 40 days.  How are YOU doing? Are you standing firm in the face of challenges and situations that are getting you down?  Are you letting the enemy take hold?  Get your weapons out!  Keep working, keep looking to God and always be prepared.  

Prayer:  Lord help me this day to keep going.  Keep that goal in front of me, so that I can see it and know that it is worth fighting for. Help me see YOUR vision for my life, and help me when the enemy tries to divert me from Your plan.  Hear my prayers, surround me with others who are willing to stand beside me to accomplish Your will.  Be my All.  In Jesus' name I pray.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lent - What does it mean for me?

  It seems like I just finished writing the Christmas posts, and now we are on Ash Wednesday. "Isn't that only for Catholics?"...