Saturday, December 17, 2022

Advent 2022 - Ponder HARK

Like me, I'm sure you have sung the words "Hark, the herald angels sing!" many times through the years. The very short definition of hark is to listen. My  Webster's 1828 dictionary even states This word is rarely or never used, except in the imperative mode, hark, that is, listen, hear. This is one of the beloved Christmas carols that I can sing without opening a hymnal. Like many old songs I grew up with, I often don't think about the words. These last few days, as I have listened to Christmas music, I have been pondering hark. 

When I get extremely familiar with routines, people, and songs, the interaction becomes such a habit that I don't really listen. I have been listening to the local Christian radio station in my car lately, and every day at noon, they have someone lead listeners in the Lord's Prayer. I also grew up with that prayer and love it. The station has a pastor, business leader, or a first responder lead the prayer daily. As I was listening along (eyes open, of course, since I was driving!) I absorbed those words that I have recited so often. That is one of the few things I recite in the King James version because that is how I learned it. I wonder how many of us simply recite that prayer without listening or hearing it?

Here it is from the New Living Translation: 

Our Father in heaven, may your name be kept holy. May your Kingdom come soon. May your will be done on earth, as it is in heaven. Give us today the food we need, and forgive us our sins, as we have forgiven those who sin against us. And don't let us yield to temptation, but rescue us from the evil one. Matthew 6:9-13 NLT

Hark! The herald angels sing! Listen up; something exciting is happening, don't let it pass you by. We are about a week out from celebrating the birth of Jesus. School is out, travel will begin, last minute preparations will take place. Are you listening? As I hear and sing these familiar songs this year, I'm preparing my heart to listen. I want to immerse myself in the meaning of these lyrics. So much of what we do in our day is routine. So much of what we do during this season is routine, like singing Silent Night and holding a candle as we finish the Christmas Eve service. It's comfortable, familiar, and like a warm hug. 

This year - hark. Listen to what you sing and let the words wash over your soul. Hark! The herald angels sing, "Glory to the newborn king." I read up a bit on this song. Like many, it has an interesting history. Written by Charles Wesley in 1739 and altered by George Whitfield in 1753, it was originally sung to a rather drear tune and later altered to use Mendelssohn 51171, how we know it today. The song reminds us that Jesus was born to give us second birth. As you travel through this last week before Christmas, focus not only on the baby in the manger but, more importantly, on the savior.  

Mild he lays his glory by, born that we no more may die, born to raise us from the earth, born to give us second birth. HARK!

Challenge: This week, listen to the sounds and routines of the season all around you. Listen with new ears to old familiar lyrics. Let them refresh you and remind you of the God who made all of this happen just for you.

Prayer: Father God, help me to listen for Your voice. As I sing familiar words burn them into my heart just as the authors from long ago felt when they wrote them. Help me to hear You in the smallest of things, then move in my heart in a big way. Come, Lord Jesus...... Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Lent - What does it mean for me?

  It seems like I just finished writing the Christmas posts, and now we are on Ash Wednesday. "Isn't that only for Catholics?"...